Friday, October 3, 2014

SUSPECT is Robert Crais' Best Yet

Understand first I haven't met a Robert Crais novel I didn't like. Haven't given them all five stars, however, as RC is always on his game but some are better than others. So when I give SUSPECT five stars, I'm saying this is one his best. BUT -- I would give this book six stars if could because I believe this is his best book ever. I just loved it. I put it down -- had to go out to dinner -- but it was done by breakfast the next morning because I wanted to see how Scott and Maggie came out. I couldn't put it down is a cliche in this business. I did. I had to in order to sustain my marriage. But I didn't want to stop.

Who is Maggie, you might ask? Well this book is about Maggie, an ex-Marine German Shepherd who's now about to be rejected from the LAPD K-9 unit, and Scott, a LAPD patrol officer who lost his partner and was shot three times in an unsolved murder. Scott wants to join the K-9 unit to an effort to heal himself and get back to work. He dreams and thinks of his dead partner much of the time. Maggie the dog thinks about her dead former partner too, a Marine killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. Maggie was shot twice trying to protect her Marine handler after the explosion. Both Maggie and Scott are wounded emotionally and physically. Both have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What a team!

The story is about Scott and Maggie learning to work together, both of them needing the other's help. Can they get their act together and solve the murder that killed Scott's former partner? But I called this story RC's best ever because of two things: One, the emotional level of this book is over the top for RC's work. These two protagonists will wrench your guts with their mistakes, their courage and the love they eventually share. Two, significant scenes are told from Maggie's point of view, and for me this was stunningly unusual and a joy to read. You will learn unbelievable facts about dog's noses and how they see the world, and if you have any love for dogs or animals in general, I believe this could be your favorite Robert Crais book, too.


Please, RC, give us another Maggie and Scott story someday. -- AC

No comments: