Monday, July 5, 2010

Skilled Storytelling on Display

The internet offers crime and mystery readers hundreds of free short stories, some okay, some great, some examples of the very best in storytelling. Here are links to places The Famous Author and I regularly check out, including Thuglit, Beat to a Pulp, Thrillers, Chillers 'N' Killers, and Spinetingler.

And here's a link to a prize-winning story by Chris F. Holm called Seven Days of Rain. It's a story every short story writer should read. It has everything -- character, tension, and a masterful weave of past and present making both tales explode at the end. It's a wow.

Chris is well known for his short story skills. We bet the novel in progress is going to be a big winner, too.

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Yeah, that impressed the hell out of me too.

His short story collection is going to be something else.

Chris said...

Wow. Thank you so much. I don't even know what to say. (Except that man, I'd best not disappoint with my debut novel, huh?)

Chris said...

Hmmm. Blogger may have eaten the comment I left last night. Thanks so much for the kind words! I hope my novel one day lives up to the hype!

Austin Carr said...

TFA says he reads a lot of short stories (and so does David), but he never saw backstory woven so engrossingly.

A LOT of us fans are waiting for the novel. But no pressure....