Friday, September 25, 2009

Aerial Attack Almost Gets Me!

I had real close call yesterday. In fact, I'm still so shaky, I'm not sure I can remember all the details. What I do remember -- I was almost eaten alive!

The Famous Author left me alone on a South Carolina beach yesterday. No biggie. The sun was warm, the water refreshing, and down the beach I saw a pretty redhead to keep my mind occupied. Maybe too much. All of a sudden, something grabbed me by the shoulders and lifted me into the air.

When I got over my shock, I realized I was in the grasp of a giant bird! Luckily, TFA heard my screams and managed to scare the creature by flapping his arms and reminding the bird that it was supposed to be eating fish.

Later, we looked in a book and found pictures. It was an Osprey (Pandion haliaetus), sometimes known as the sea hawk, a fish-eating bird of prey. It's a biggie, too, averaging 24 inches in length with a six-foot wingspan. Brown on the upperparts, predominantly greyish on the head and underparts, with a black eye patch and wings.

The Osprey is the only raptor whose outer toe is reversible, allowing it to grasp me with two toes in front and two behind. With a diet of 99% fish, I don't know what he thought he was catching -- a rodent, rabbit, amphibian, or a another bird.

Thank goodness for TFA. Whew!

No comments: