Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ever Read James M. Cain?

She talked along, and there was nothing I could do but go along with it. But you sell as many people as I do, you don’t go by what they say. You feel it, how the deal is going. And after a while I knew this woman didn’t care anything about the Automobile Club. Maybe her husband did, but she didn’t. There was something else, and this was nothing but a stall. I figured it would be some kind of proposition to split the commission...And I was just wondering what I would say to her. A reputable agent don’t get mixed up in stuff like that, but she was walking around the room, and I saw something I hadn’t noticed before. Under those blue pajamas was a shape to set a man nuts, and how good I was going to sound when I started explaining the high ethics of the insurance business I didn’t exactly know.

But all of a sudden she looked at me, and I felt a chill creep straight up my back and into the roots of my hair. “Do you handle accident insurance?”


Classic noir doesn't get more classic than DOUBLE INDEMNITY by James M. Cain. The hero is lured into crime by the femme fatale. (Hey, that sounds like my first adventure. You don't think TFA might have borrowed a bit from here, do you?)

Amazon.com Review
When smalltime insurance salesman Walter Huff meets seductive Phyllis Nirdlinger, the wife of one of his wealthy clients, it takes him only minutes to determine that she wants to get rid of her husband--and not much longer to decide to help her do it. Walter knows that accident insurance pays double indemnity on railroad mishaps, so he and Phyllis plot frantically to get Nirdlinger on--and off--a train without arousing the suspicions of the police, the insurance company, Nirdlinger's dishy daughter, her mysterious boyfriend, or Nirdlinger himself.

Read some of the 50 reviews on Amazon.

No comments: