Friday, February 6, 2009

Deus Ex Machina

So that villainous Sheriff of Cabo and his female accomplice -- that woman whose name cannot be spoken -- dragged me to the top of the four-story altar. As the Sheriff tied me down, the woman reached for the stone knife attached to her belt.

“This is going to hurt,” she said. “But know that you are not alone. I have taken many men’s hearts.”

Ha ha. Bitch. I closed my eyes and began a prayer, a thank you for all the fun I’ve had, the love I’ve known, but the rumble of a gasoline-powered engine cut me off. A familiar rumble at that... Could it be?

The Sheriff and What’s Her Name ran to the altar's edge to check the noise. While their backs were turned, my old buddy Makaha from San Gabriel, California appeared to untie my hands and lead me back down the far side of the altar. We escaped in his 500-horsepower, green Chevelle.

Deus ex machina -- literally "god from the machine" -- is a plot device in which a surprising or unexpected event occurs in a story's plot, suddenly and completely resolving an otherwise unsolvable conflict. Neoclassical literary criticism, from Corneille and John Dennis on, took it as a given that one mark of a bad play was the sudden invocation of extraordinary circumstance. Thus, the term "deus ex machina" has come to mean any inferior plot device that expeditiously solves the conflict of a narrative. --Thanks Wikipedia

No comments: