Monday, January 26, 2009

Redhead of the Week

Sarah McLachlan, who'll be 41 Thursday, is a Grammy-winning Canadian musician, singer, and songwriter known for the emotional sound of her ballads, including "Angel", "Building a Mystery", "Adia", "Possession", "Fallen", "I Will Remember You", and "World on Fire".

At 17 and still a student at Queen Elizabeth High School in Nova Scotia, Sarah fronted a short-lived rock band called The October Game. One of the band's songs, "Grind", credited as a group composition, can be found on the independent Flamingo Records release 'Out of the Fog.' Her high school yearbook predicted she was "destined to become a famous rock star."

She recorded the first of her albums, Touch, in 1988, which received both critical and commercial success and included the hit song "Vox". During this period she also contributed to an album by Moev, and embarked on her first national concert tour as an opening act for The Grapes of Wrath. Her 1991 album, Solace, was her mainstream breakthrough in Canada, spawning the hit singles "The Path of Thorns (Terms)" and "Into the Fire". Solace also marked the beginning of her partnership with Pierre Marchand. Marchand and McLachlan have been collaborators ever since, with Marchand producing all of McLachlan's albums and occasionally co-writing songs.

In 1998, in addition to performing her own set, she performed a cover of Sad Lisa with rock band Phish at the annual Bridge School Benefit concert in California, hosted by Neil Young, after which McLachlan began an extended period away from recording or touring.

Sarah is also a big friend to animals. See the comment section for details.

Thanks to Sarah, jnantz, and Wikipedia

4 comments:

jnantz said...

She also does some commercial work for a cause close to my heart (as anyone who's seen my blog knows), and that's rescues. Sarah (a beautiful lady and a wonderful singer) works with the ASPCA to come up with some real tear-jerkers if you have any kind of heart for animals. For that alone she'd be a great redhead of the week, but the pipes she sings from are nicely tuned too...

Austin Carr said...

A huge ranch for rescued dogs in the California desert has always been one of my fantasy projects. Every time I see Caesar Millan walking around with his pack of hounds, I get jealous.

jnantz said...

Ain't that the truth. My wife and I watch that show Dogtown, and I just sit there and think "Yep, I could do that every day the rest of my life, and as long as I had time to write and time with my girl, I'd be happy."

Ann oDyne said...

I love Sarah's songs and am glad to hear she is an animal-person.
In good company with Doris Day, Kim Novak, Brigitte Bardot, Tippi Hedren, Oscar winner Glenda Jackson has a shelter for abandoned greyhounds, and even Anthony Head the Buffy actor has a donkey sanctuary.
Caesar Millan is a joy to be spreading the knowledge of
animal-consideration to a wide audience too.