Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Redhead of the Week

Hey, I'm not really sure Charlaine Harris is a natural redhead, but who cares. Man, can this lady tell a story.

Regular visitors to my website know that I sometimes have fun with vampire and cat mysteries. I mean, I've made a joke or two. In fiction, a reader has to suspend his disbelief, and I really have trouble with talking animals and ghouls that drink blood to survive. But at Bouchercon this year, the number two book in Charlaine's new series turned up in The Famous Author's book bag, and because of her best-selling status, I thought I'd try the first page or so, see what the excitement was about. GRAVE SURPRISE it's called.

Well, wouldn't you know, I was hooked by the end of page one, swept away in the strange life of Harper Connelly. Charlaine really knows how to tell a story. WOW! I ignored my vacation, the beach, alcoholic spirits, and even the affections of a redhead until I'd finished this book.

Charlaine is already a star and a New York Times bestseller with her vampire mysteries starring Sookie Stackhouse and her Lily Bard mysteries, but this second installment to her new supernatural mystery series might just be her biggest hit yet.

From the Berkely Prime Crime people: "A college class gets more than it bargained for when Harper gives a demonstration of her uncanny talent. Instead of just finding one body in an old grave, she finds two: the original occupant and a recently deceased girl whom Harper had tried, and failed, to find two years previously. To dispel suspicions about her own innocence, Harper and her stepbrother Tolliver undertake their own hunt to find the killer-only to find yet another body in the same grave."

Anybody who loves a mystery will like this book. I promise. You will throw away your disbelief in the first two pages. And a special shout out to Chris. Charlaine's protag is the way she is because she got struck by lightning.

No comments: